General Information[edit | edit source]
There are more than 180 species of mushrooms which contain the psychedelic chemicals psilocybin or psilocin. They have a long history of use in Mexico and are currently one of the most popular and commonly available natural psychedelics.
Dosage[edit | edit source]
This is the dose range for dry Psilocybe Cubensis. Fresh mushrooms are 9/10ths water by weight, and require 10 times the dose. For other types of psilocybes, see http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_info4.shtml.
Oral[edit | edit source]
Duration: 4-8 hours
Low dose: 1-2 grams
Common dose: 2-4 grams
High dose: >4 grams
Lemon Tek[edit | edit source]
This will greatly increase intensity, but lower the duration. The comedown is abrupt, yet gentle. Do not expect enough time for introspection.
Grind the mushrooms to a fine powder, then add them to an acidic solution (e.g. 1 tbps lemon juice, 8oz water), and drink on an empty stomach.
Effects[edit | edit source]
Psilocybin tends to induce more introspection than other psychedelics.
Positive[edit | edit source]
- Mood lift, euphoria
- Increased giggling and laughing
- Creative, philosophical or deep thinking : ideas flow more easily
- Boring tasks or entertainment can become more interesting or funny
- Sensation of insight
- Life-changing spiritual experience
- Intense feelings of wonder
- Paradoxical feeling of a normalcy and deep alteration of psyche
- May interrupt cluster sequences in those suffering from cluster headaches
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- Feeling more emotionally sensitive
- General change in consciousness (as with many psychoactives)
- Time perception alteration [ Wittmann 2006 ]
- Time seems to pass more slowly (minutes seem to take hours)
- Sensitivity to light; lights seem brighter
- Starring and rainbow patterns around pinpoint lights
- Increased detection of motion in peripheral vision
- Open and closed-eye visuals (common at medium or stronger dose)
- Sleepiness, lethargy
- Pupil dilation
- Sensation of energy or buzzing in the nevous system/peripheral limbs
- Memories come to life
Negative[edit | edit source]
- Intense feelings of fear
- Headache, usually as effects wear off, sometimes beginning the next day, lasting for up to 24 hours
- Nausea, gas, gastrointestinal discomfort, especially when mushrooms are eaten raw and/or dry
- Mild to severe anxiety
- Dizziness, confusion
- Lightheadedness or fainting (in cases of lowered blood pressure)
- Can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders
- Working memory disruption (reduced ability to do tasks requiring current remembering and attention) [ Wittmann 2006 ]
After effects[edit | edit source]
- Hangover - rare
- Afterglow - common
- Long term effects include
Harm Reduction[edit | edit source]
- Avoid driving and operating heavy machinery. You may feel "ok", but your judgement is highly impaired.
- Recommended time (pauses) between using the substance is one month. More frequent use requires higher doses.
- Low addiction potential.
- There have been no documented deaths from consumption of psilocybin mushrooms.
- As with all psychedelics, mushrooms can trigger latent psychological problems. If you are bipolar, schizophrenic, or show any signs of psychosis, avoid psychedelics entirely.
Images[edit | edit source]
Legal[edit | edit source]
Illegal in most countries.